Screensaver in Squeak [was Re: How to "execute" only one project]

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 18 20:15:37 UTC 2003

Hi,

Trying to create our "Linux screensaver in Squeak", we now have a simple hack
that allows to start a squeak image that contains "aquarium with fish" as
Linux "xscreensaver" - it is a bad hack as we only use the "xscreensaver"
mechanism to start the "squeak Aquarium.image", and exit the screensaver
window immediately after that. The net effect is that the squeak process
stays up . (I guess the correct way would be to spawn Squeak from
xscreensaver's C wrapper, but that's for another night)

For the Squeak project to actually behave as a screensaver, I would like to do
2 things:

	1) add some code to the Squeak project that would "quit Squeak" after  moving
a mouse  or typing a key. Having no smalltalk or Squeak coding experience, i
am looking for a lazy way to achieve that. I tried to call "quitSqueak" on
mouse-up but that is not the right thing ...

	2) I tried to run "squeak -fullscreen Aquarium.image" but squeak complains
about the "fullscreen" option (Squeak 3.4 on SuSE Linux) - is this a known
and expected thing or am I missing something?

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks, Milan