duplicate inspector flaw

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Oct 20 15:30:36 UTC 2003

Gary McGovern wrote:

> hello,
> last night I opened an inspector for an object but wanted to watch 4
> instance variables concurrently and so used the green duplicate spot to
> make another 3 inspectors. But only the original inspector would update and
> I spent quite some modifying code until I realised that I was getting wrong
> answers from the 3 non-updating duplicate inspectors.
>
> This is the second problem I've had with the green spot in the last
> week.(the other being a running movie morph).
>
> Is this a known issue ? What is happening ?

The green handle performs a *very deep* copy of the object - in fact,
when copying the inspector it creates a copy of the inspected object,
too. If you change the original object, only the first inspector will
update, since only the first inspected object is changed.

To "duplicate" an inspector select "self" and press "cmd-i".

--
    Bert