missing method crash

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Oct 20 17:32:02 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 8:22 am, Gary McGovern wrote:
> I filed some changes in and missed a method. Then when I sent that missing
> method as a message in a workspace the system crashed. Then when I closed
> Squeak without saving, the hard drive was very active and I had to reboot
> the computer.

What do you mean by "crashed"? If you were able to close Squeak, it wasn't a
VM crash.

> It seems a lot to happen for just one method missing. Shouldn't there be
> something to catch this type of thing. And... maybe a way for the image to
> save itself before a crash.

It's possible that you got into a situation where there was infinite
recursion. There have been several goodies published that would watch the
stack depths and offer to kill an offending process.

In some cases the "CPU watcher" can help catch runaway processes, too.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com