Monticello: change package cache dir?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 22 10:18:09 UTC 2003

Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Same with SqueakMap: all stuff downloaded will be copied to the "master"
> > dir, not the new one.

First of all - in SM1.xx the download directory is a Preference of
Package Loader.
So it is actually not "SM" itself that insists on that directory. :-) SM
itself insists on looking in directory "sm" in "FileDirectory default".
So if you move the image to another dir which lacks an "sm" dir it will
be created, or if you move the image into a directory which already
contains "sm" then that will be used.

This logic will still apply in SM2 - but with the added concept of a
proper cache of downloaded packages which is NOT decided by the Package
Loader (or other clients). If you try the SM2 Package Loader you should
see this cache in action - it is placed below directory "sm".

> And even worse, if you delete or move the "master" dir PackageLoader
> give you
> a walkback, instead of asking you to select a valid dir.

This should be "solved" (I hope) in SM2.

> Karl

regards, Göran