short cut keys in Squeak environment

Colin Putney cputney at wireong.ca
Sat Oct 25 21:05:36 UTC 2003

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 12:16 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> The issues are as follows:
>
> 	1.Users, especially new users, expect cut-and-paste to work the same
> in
> Squeak as with the rest of their OS.
>
> 	2. Tutorials need to be as simple as possible to understand.
>
> 	3. Experienced users want to have more power available.
>

> What other issues are there to consider?

Habits. Experienced users have even more interest than new users in
keyboard shortcuts working the same in Squeak as on their host platform.

I went through a very frustrating period of intensive Squeaking
intermingled with command line work where I'd hit tab in a browser and
then sit there waiting for selector autocompletion. Eventually I
trained myself to use Cmd-Q for that, which became even more
frustrating when I found myself accidentally quitting Terminal.app all
the time.

I don't mind if I have to change my habits or form new ones, but I hate
it when my habits are sometimes helpful, sometimes harmful and I have
to focus on the minutia of driving the interface.

Colin