'Real' zooming&panning

cg at cdegroot.com cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Oct 29 15:52:18 UTC 2003

Hi All,

Long time no speak. I'm delurking because I have a problem in
Morphic that some of you hopefully can easily answer: still working on
the supersecret design package with Chris Alexander, we want to have our
designs zoom, pan, and make coffee. Well, mostly the first two, the last
one is a feature for the next release ;-)

Anyway, TwoWayScrollPane does almost exactly what we want, but in a
completely ugly way - I never realized that the transformations in
Morphic first draw and then scale, instead of just telling the affected
morphs that they are living in an altered coordinate space (like, IIRC,
Postscript). The result is that if you zoom a polygon, you suddenly
get twice as thick borders, ugly handles, etcetera.

Given that we want to be able to zoom from the neighbourhood level all
the way down to the individual holes in your kitchensink, this ain't
going to cut it.

Is there a way to do 'real', vector-oriented, scaling in Morphic? If
not, what would be the easiest solution to get something workable?

TIA,

Cees
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>