History of Smalltalk and Squeak

John Maxwell jmax at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 31 18:50:18 UTC 2003

mayuresh wrote:

> Where can I find the history of Smalltalk and Squeak?

It's in several places. The key text for Smalltalk would be Alan Kay's
"Early History of Smalltalk", which is available online at:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks/
SmalltalkHistoryHOPL.pdf
or...
   http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/EarlyHistoryST.html

The Squeak stuff is largely at Squeak.org. Dan Ingalls' paper, "Back to
the Future," describes the starting point, but there are a number of
other reflective pieces on Squeak's evolution there.

Check out Matthias Muller-Prove's bibliography at

    http://www.mprove.de/diplom/referencesKay.html

I'm currently assembling a collection, too... let me know if you're
looking for something specific.

  - John Maxwell
    jmax at sfu.ca