duplicateControlAndAltKeys

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 31 19:37:48 UTC 2003

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> Concerning Ctrl-C, which  "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> thinks must
> be "copy", I would like to point out that on my Solaris box,
> 	  Cut	  Copy	  Paste	  Delete
> Amaya	  Ctrl-W  Ctrl-C  Ctrl-V  Ctrl-D
> Netscape  Alt-X   Alt-C   Alt-V	  N/A
> Opera	  Ctrl-X  Ctrl-C  Ctrl-V  Del
> Emacs     Cut     Copy    Paste   N/A    these are actual keys
> dtterm    N/A   Ctrl-Ins Shft-Ins N/A    Ctrl/Shift Insert
> dtterm    N/A     Copy    Paste   N/A    alternative keys
> ... I could go on.
>
> Point is, in my environment, Ctrl-C as "copy" is quite rare, and
> certainly a highly non-obvious thing to do when thyere's a key labelled
> "Copy".  On the other hand, Ctrl-C as "interrupt" has a long and honourable
> history and it would be *extremely* surprising and very hard to cope with if
> Ctrl-C did *not* mean "interrupt".

Not that I'm attached to any particular bindings, but I have to disagree
here.  In my experience with GUI apps on Unix, Ctrl-C usually means
"copy" if it means anything at all.  And when Ctrl-C is not copy, Alt-C
usually is instead.  For example, I just went through the "Editor" menu
on my Debian box and here is what I found.  These programs use Ctrl-C
for copy:

	Kate
	StarOffice

These use Ctrl-C for neither copy nor interrupt:

	Emacs
	XEdit

Then, I checked web browsers.  Netscape uses alt-c for copy and ctrl-c
for I don't know what (but not interrupt).  The other web browsers I
tried are Konqueror and Galeon, and these both use ctrl-c for copy.

So I think mapping Ctrl-c to copy is in fact the de facto standard for
Unix as far as there is one.  Further, it seems rare for ctrl-c to mean
interrupt *for a GUI program*.

On the other issue, it would indeed be nice if the Copy, etc., keys
worked when you had them.  That's a matter of a little VM hacking in the
translation of X key events into Squeak key events.

And to get back to the original point, ctrl-c still seems way more
important than ctrl-enter.  Does anyone even know what ctrl-enter is
supposed to do?  (And that's ctrl-ENTER, not the more common
ctrl-return, by the way!)

-Lex