[BUG] SMLoader not handling download errors (critical for 3.6full)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Sep 1 03:16:49 UTC 2003

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 10:11 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> While upgrading to the full 3.6 release:
>
> 	Error: error occured retrieving
> http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/System-Benchmarking.st:
> 	Server www.ira.uka.de is not responding
>
> Of course, this can happen. But the error should be caught and this
> package should simply be skipped, perhaps with a notice afterwards
>
> IMHO this is a critical error, as it will severely confuse someone who
> tries to get a full image (who likely is no hard-core squeaker).

I ran into this too yesterday (although that server seems to be fine
right now).

Actually, the error would need to be handled in SqueakMap itself (in
SMSqueakMap), or in the load script.  I could add handling to the load
script, although it seems like it might be better if SMSqueakMap put up
a notifier and then skipped that package.  Then in this case the load
script would proceed to the next package.

I guess this will be less of an issue with SM2 since it will have a
backup server for all packages.  (I think?)

- Doug