How to bind a listening socket to an address?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 1 03:28:32 UTC 2003

The listening socket is always bound to the local network address (how could
it be otherwise?) so I assume you mean that you only want to listen for
connections coming from a specific host. If that is correct, you can simply
accept connections from anywhere and check the remote address of the socket
after accepting it. E.g., something like:

	myAddress := #(127 0 0 1) asByteArray.
	listener := Socket newTCP.
	listener listenOn: myPort backlogSize: 4.
	serverSocket := listener waitForAcceptFor: 100.
	serverSocket remoteAddress = myAddress
		ifFalse:[serverSocket destroy].

should work.

Cheers,