Fonts in Squeak

Thomas Schwarzkopf tschwarzkopf at t-online.de
Mon Sep 1 09:09:20 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'd like to use Squeak to learn Smalltalk.
This is probably not a good idea but since Squeak
runs on some exotic platforms I am interested in I'll try
it anyway ;-)
I installed Squeak 3.5 on my FreeBSD box.
Squeak seems to run ok but the default fonts look
very ugly. It's hard to read them.
I don't know if this is a FreeBSD or Unix/X11 specific
problem or if Squeak always looks like that.
I googled a bit to find information on how to get better
fonts for Squeak but the information I found was quite
confusing. There seem to be different projects in
various stages of development for different versions
of Squeak on different operating systems to make it
possible to use Truetype fonts or Freetype fonts.
So my question is, what is the recommended way
to install better fonts for Squeak 3.5 on my platform?
Truetype and Freetype fonts are already installed on
my system and they work very well with all other
applications.

Thanks

   Thomas