parser generator tools

Ralph P. Boland rpboland at math.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 1 20:12:30 UTC 2003

I am about to begin development of a new parser generator tool
(as if we didn't have enough of them already).

My tool  will be designed to parse complex grammars
(much more complex than LR(1) grammars) quickly based
upon an algorithm I have been developing for years.
I refer to the parsing technowledgy as  "Meta-Reduction Parsing"  because
the algorithm does "multiple reductions to an entire subtree at a time".

At the moment I am planning to develop it in  Smalltalk (Squeak) since the
algorithm is quite complex and Java is painful to use.

Though the parsers the tool builds are fast (amost as fast as  LR(1)
parsers,
 the algorithm to build them is
complex and costly both in terms of time and space.  Because of this I may
have to eventually port the tool to  C  (at least in part) but for now I
will use
Squeak.

I am wondering what Smalltalk based parser generator tools already exist.
I am aware of  TGen-2.1  and SmaCC which is based upon  TGen-2.1.
Are there others?

I intend to build the main parser builder engine but I am open to others
working
on other aspects of the tool, for example  GUIs,  applications, etc.
I would be interested in talking with anyone who wants to build these
components.
I am also interested in hearing from  anyone who wants to use my parser
generator and
what you intent to use it for.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone interested in my project.

Thanks

Ralph Boland