problems with Squeak on a Compaq Aero 2100-series running WinCE

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Tue Sep 2 00:30:15 UTC 2003

I'm trying to install Squeak on a Compaq Aero 2130 I got cheap, and it's
not going very well.  I downloaded
http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/iPAQ/SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-ARM.zip
and the TinySqueak image and changes file from
http://www.reasonability.net/ipaq/. I put the .exe in the "Start Menu"
directory, and the image and changes in the root directory.

Almost all the time, I get the CE hourglass for a while, and then an
apparent hang. Eventually, I can bring up the Start menu and select
Squeak from the programs menu again, which leads me to a WinCE dialog
saying, "Fatal error: Cannot create device bitmap."  Also in the mix is
a dialog titled "Squeak" that says, "Quit Squeak without saving [Yes]
[No]." Selecting No causes Squeak to exit anyhow.  I tried installing
gx.dll for MIPS in \windows, to no avail.

The frustrating thing is that, in one try out of dozens, I actually did
have Squeak working for a bit, albeit slowly, but haven't managed to
repeat the voodoo since.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill