parser generator tool

Roel Wuyts wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 2 13:15:21 UTC 2003

Yes, I ported the VisualWorks ParserGenerator to Squeak many years ago.
Becuase I was not sure about the licensing, I never put it out
officially, but it is unofficially available on-demand by sending me a
simple mail. So if anybody is interested, just drop me a mail and I'll
go on my attick, kill some monster spiders and try to retrieve the code
:-)

PS: I also have it lying around somewhere for VisualAge, btw. Not that
I think that anybody could be interested by that...

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 08:46 Europe/Zurich, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:39 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Ralph P. Boland wrote:
>>
>>> I am about to begin development of a new parser generator tool
>>> (as if we didn't have enough of them already).
>>>
>>> My tool  will be designed to parse complex grammars
>>> (much more complex than LR(1) grammars) quickly based
>>> upon an algorithm I have been developing for years.
>>> I refer to the parsing technowledgy as  "Meta-Reduction Parsing"
>>> because
>>> the algorithm does "multiple reductions to an entire subtree at a
>>> time".
>>
>> Sounds interesting.
>>
>>> I am wondering what Smalltalk based parser generator tools already
>>> exist.
>>> I am aware of  TGen-2.1  and SmaCC which is based upon  TGen-2.1.
>>> Are there others?
>>
>> THere's a Parser generator kit bundled with VisualWorks, which I
>> believe
>> someone ported to Squeak (Stephane?). As I recall, it doesn't
>> separate the
>> grammars from regular methods as much as TGen and SmaCC do.
>> [snip]
>
> Roel ported the Parser Generator of VW
> Contact him
>>
>> I'm interested in the project, fwiw.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bijan Parsia.

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/