Documentation, more, more

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Sep 2 20:22:19 UTC 2003

On Sunday 31 August 2003 03:19 pm, leftie2100 wrote:
> Considering the supposed emphasis on using Squeak as a teaching
> tool, I guess I find these reasons to be a really poor excuse. What
> good is a great tool to the public as a whole if the only people
> who can use it are the developers?
>
> The lead developers need to make development of good documentation
> just as central to releases as the code itself.

The Squeak distribution that is aimed squarely at education is
distributed at Squeakland.org, and they are trying to keep their
tutorials up to date with the image.

However, some of the tutorials until very recently had been broken by
later changes to the Squeakland plugin image.

The difficulty of keeping documentation, tutorials, etc. up to date is
not unique to Squeak.

This is a role that a number of people in the Squeak community could
help with. Even if you're new to Squeak, you can help:

* try out existing documentation and point out its problems
* you can tell the community what documentation you think needs to
exist
* you can update the Swiki to make sure that documentation can be
found
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com