problems building a working squeak 3.4-1 for Redhat linux 9

shaffer-squeak at aslan.cs.westminster.edu shaffer-squeak at aslan.cs.westminster.edu
Wed Sep 3 13:05:43 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg writes:
 > C. David Shaffer wrote:
 >
 > > I can't build a working squeak (from the sources provided on Ian's web
 > > site for 3.4-1)
 >
 > Yes it's broken.

Ian sent me these comments and this fix which worked perfectly:

   The first thing to check is your "config.h" file, in the build
   directory, to make sure it contains the following lines near the
   end (they affect the way Floats are laid out in memory)

  /* #undef	WORDS_BIGENDIAN */
  /* #undef	DOUBLE_WORD_ALIGNMENT */
  #define	DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER 1

   _exactly_ as shown here.  If they are any different in your
   config.h then you have a configuration problem, most likely caused
   by the compiler "optimising out of existence" one of the tests for
   float characteristics in the "configure" script.  A quick-and-dirty
   fix would be to simply edit config.h by hand so they are correct,
   then delete all ".o" and ".a" files under your build directory, and
   recompile.

 > > Any guidance would be appreciated.
 >
 > All known issues have been fixed in the 3.6 VM. Grab it from Ian's page.
 > Even the RPMs should work fine.

Thanks!  I've played with 3.6 but it still appears to have problems on
my machine.  None of the 3D stuff seems to work at all.  I'd be happy
to be more specific if anyone (Ian?) needs to know the details of the
problems and/or my configuration.

David
cdshaffer at acm.org