Floats in squeak...

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 6 02:27:09 UTC 2003

Hey Alan,

Did you ever resolve this issue?  The reason I ask is that I just love
each and every Squeaker that much!

Well, that and because I'm now having the same problem.  Here is a snippet
that is pretty close to the root of the problem:

#(1 3 5) asFloatArray += 2.5
==> a FloatArray(1.0 3.0 5.0)

Your problem with FishEyeMorph was caused by using += to add to a
FloatArray.  When this didn't work, the array was left filled with
zeros.  Then, when 1.0 was divided by the array, the result was an
array filled with Infinities.  And so on...

I haven't gotten too far with debugging this.  One thing I did do
was take the external FloatArrayPlugin that I compiled with the 3.5
sources (works fine) and tried it with my newly compiled 3.6 VM (no
longer works fine).  The plugin is being loaded fine; that's as far
as I've gotten.

I should mention that I compiled the 3.6 VM with a slightly newer GCC
(3.3.2) than I did for the 3.5 VM (I don't remember which version that
was, I just let Debian do the upgrading).

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this,
Joshua