Need feedback on one idea

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Sep 6 16:57:50 UTC 2003

On Samedi, sep 6, 2003, at 17:30 Europe/Zurich, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> ducasse wrote:
>> Hi
>> after seeing a talk at ESUG, I was wondering how difficult it would
>> be to remove classVar and Pool from classes and replace them with
>> namespace variables. I would like to give a try just to see all the
>> problems. I already have my own list:
>>     - I'm not sure I would like to have namespace import for example
>>     - how to initialize variables....
>> Do you have any experience/idea/related work on this topic?
>> Stef
> Which advantages do you see in removing classVars and pool vars?

You unify them. You do not have cassVariable and poolVariable to explain
and have instance variable, class instance, and class variable AND pool.
Just "global" variables in a namespace and instance and class instance
variables.

Then Pool are really ugly and static (try to change the value of
a pool variable and see how the method refering to it can break :))

> What do you mean by namespace variables? There are no namespaces
> in Squeak yet?

Yes there are, SystemDictionary is a namespace and environment its
subclass
it clearly that. This is just that nobody use that except henrik for
his module stuff.