[bug] stack overflow crashes Squeak.

Michael Fremont mike at zorch.com
Sun Sep 7 19:00:31 UTC 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 11:48 am, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Can't say why the unix one doesn't have the same behaviour. I
> wonder the the path length to get the X11 handleEvent() logic is so
> long or never gets to run so you perhaps you aren't waiting long
> enough for the keystroke to be polled for?

I don't think this is the problem, or at least, not the only one.  You
can get this to happen without involving keystrokes at all.

Set the LowSpaceWatcher threshold to 150 *megabytes* and then run

Smalltalk createStackOverflow

and, in Linux, you'll never get the low space notifier; or if you do,
you'll also get an Emergency Evaluator and the system will be locked
up, with createStackOverflow *still* running, and an eventual crash.

So this seems deeper than not seeing keystrokes.

Best,

Mike