List archives and distribution

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 05:18:44 UTC 2003

> I'd like to have a look at this. I've been dissatisfied by my email
> client lately and thinking about ways to organize email that don't
> involve storing messages in folders and the having to remember where
> they are.

Here ya go.

>From the readme:

This package parses the Squeak mailing list archive that can be downloaded at
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/ and loads a Magma
database with a keyword index.  To use:

	[ MaSqueakMailArchiveLoader
		loadMboxFileNamed: inputString
		intoMagmaDatabaseNamed: outputString ]

		on: MaNotification
		do:
			[ : notification |
			Transcript cr; show: notification messageText.
			notification resume ]

The output database is created for you.  This load operation is very I/O
intensive and could take more than a day to run.  It is recommended to read the
input file from a different disk drive than the output file.

Once loaded, keyword access to any message using MagmaCollectionReaders on
either index should be very fast.

This is a fun experiment with Magma.  Have fun!

Cheers,
  Chris