[Q]Is there "Terminal Services" type ability in Squeak?

Darius squeakuser at inglang.com
Tue Sep 9 22:18:59 UTC 2003

MS' Terminal Services has become popular here at my employer’s company and in
many other companies to reduce TCO and maintenance time.

Has anyone accomplished something similar in Squeak?

I know Nebraska is close, but the client can't start or stop the session/image
remotely if it’s not already running in the host’s memory. Each session
shouldn’t need its own IP address on either the host or the client, just one
for each machine.

- Objects/image would stay and run in the host's memory and store on the host’s
drive.
- Only the streaming of the display would be received at the client.
- Only the keyboard & mouse movements return to the host.
- Each client would have his own session/image (or multiple sessions/images) on
the host.
- Access to objects/multimedia content in other images for workgroup content
sharing.
- Should be able to stream video.
- Not a headless Squeak -- but a “virtual long-neck” Squeak.

This might be helpful for schools and reduce complexity for students. Schools
could have beefy servers, central control, fewer hardware upgrades, and a
minimal fat client (Squeak) for older hardware rather than a thin client
(browser).

Is there a better word for this type of tiered configuration in Squeak?

Cheers,
Darius