Alpha images on ftp site (was Re: (fwd) [Test-Runner Results]Squeak3.6beta latest update: #5411)

Ingo Hohmann uysl0l402 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:29:03 UTC 2003

Hi Bruce

Bruce ONeel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happy to do this.  I could easily do:
>
> Smalltalk/Squeak/3.6gamma/current.zip
>
> or I could have some directory
<...>
> What's easiest (and least confusing to the person who stumbles
> upon it)?

I'd vote for

Smalltalk/Squeak/squeak_stable.zip  "being the latest 3.5 atm"
Smalltalk/Squeak/squeak_testing.zip "the latest alpha, beta, whatever"

That's the least confusing from my own perspective, and from what I hear
about the update stream on the squeak list ("why does my 3.5 image not
get updated any more" -> "because there are no updates to 3.5, only to
3.6 whatever" ...)

Of course I'm talking about someone stumbling on it with an ftp-tool,
but I don't believe that scripts would need a finer granularity, and a
human who really wants a finer granularity will be perfectly fine to dig
in the archive structure.

Of course, YMMV ;-)

Kind regards,

Ingo