Documentation, more, more

Raymond raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 12 02:47:33 UTC 2003

> Hi Daniel,
>
> > Hi. I think the multiple viewpoints idea is correct, but I
> > disagree that there should be a progression from Learners to
> > Programmers (EToys to Morphic) - part of our audience is
> > experienced programmers of other languages who may or may
> > not have interest in EToys.

snip....
 It
> would be incredible valuable for us if we had indeed a progression which
> allows us to say something like "new to Squeak? well, try out eToys at first
> that'll give you an impression of what this system can do - from here you
> can look at X, Y, or Z". If this progression is thought through
> appropriately it opens an avenue for much more people getting into Squeak,
> using it, improving it.

I agree again and again.

> You can get an idea of how this can work in the Squeakland community - as
> people get more and more experienced, they want to do more things and some
> of them (due to the lack of a well thought-out progression only a few)
> actually start to pop up the hood (there's a little button in eToys
> scriptors which allow you to switch from tiles to text) and start working in
> the Smalltalk environment.

Yes it is, and I hope that the community  in his 'vision' will not forget the multimedia part
of Squeak, and will not let go the plan to give us a unify environment: I means a seamless
'passage' between Etoys and Smalltalk programming we need both. When I use eToys
I love the capacity to swith to text with which we can go further, and I would like to be
able to 'recuperer' the objects created in eToys having classes in code to recreate them...

To climb the learning curve of Smalltalk is'nt a small project unless you'r from
ComputerScience. So  eToys and multimedia is a big entrance point for Squeak.
In my opinion...for sure.

 Raymond Asselin