Documentation, more, more

Ingo Hohmann uysl0l402 at sneakemail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:23:40 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:06:55AM +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:

>Hi Daniel,
>

>>Hi. I think the multiple viewpoints idea is correct, but I
>>disagree that there should be a progression from Learners to
>>Programmers (EToys to Morphic) - part of our audience is
>>experienced programmers of other languages who may or may
>>not have interest in EToys.
>
>I couldn't possibly disagree more here ;)

Oh, really?

I am *sure* there are different viewpoints between the two groups, but
as with men and women, wouldn't the world be much less interesting when
they were both the same? Of course, it only gets _really_ interesting
once you get them together. ;-)

So I think the best thing to do is to acknowledge that there are
differences ...

Some people would be overwhelmed, if they were thrown into the depth of
Smalltalk,

and experienced programmers would feel bored if they were to be led to
an EToy example, *as the first idea on what there is about Squeak*.

... but it should be possible to let them both progress to into the
viewpoint of the other one.

There is *one* community, but two very distinct ways to get into it, and
this should be acknowledged.

Kind regards,

Ingo