Documentation, more, more

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Sep 12 08:28:48 UTC 2003

David Faught <dave_faught at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The "jump in here" point for experienced programmers would be handled
> by the paths or tracks in the Introduction that I described.  I have to
> go along with Andreas here, that the transition from the fun easy world
> of EToys to the world of programming is extremely important.  I also
> think that this is basically a void right now in terms of available
> documentation.  Doing the transition in terms of "popping the hood" by
> translating scripts to text had not occured to me though.  And what
> serious programmer doesn't need an occasional diversion, possibly
> facilitated by an educationally reinforcing trip through EToy land?
As I replied to Andreas, I think the transitions are definitely a good
idea. If you have the intent to write/reorganize the material in a way
that would complete a path, make it so that can be integrated in some
constructive way.

> >I think rather than writing an alternate TOC, it would be good if you
> >can just start to refactor the existing ones. That way, when you're
> >tired, we don't end up with "yet another half done effort", but simply
> >with a better site.
>
> I have to agree with your sentiment here, but I am refering to a
> particular one for the currently existing TOC, not a few of them.
> It's at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983 .  It's very good, but
> has a slightly different slant than what I propose.  And there are some
> definite gaps in the content to really follow a nice comprehensive
> progression.
I think that page is a start at a TOC, but I'm not sure it serves any
progression specifically.

Daniel