Documentation, more, more

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 14 06:04:39 UTC 2003

"mwgrant2001" <mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've gotten some good rules of thumb from the forum subsequent to
> that comment. BTW, 'sandbox', while a very apt description, is
> potentially condescending to some people. Squeak should think beyond
> the 'kids' theme--but not too far.

Man, we are from different worlds.  I think "newbie" is a kind term,
just like beginner only more informal.  I think "sandbox" is any place
to mess around, and isn't necessarily a kiddish term.

But anyway, who cares about the exact name.  I just put something in to
start with.  All the more accurate names I could think of for either the
class or the category would have been unhelpful for new people, but
ideas are welcome.

> Besides 'TheVoid' may be more appropriate in my case ;-). It is a
> good idea whatever you call it, though some may suggest making a
> category is one of the first things one should learn.

Remember that commercial, "When I grow up, I wanna file all day long"?
No one says that, and also no one says, "When I learn to program, I want
to make categories all day long".  :)

So I think we should move in the opposite direction: provide a default
name for any new item, whenever it is possible.  You shouldn't have to
title your sculpture before you start smushing the clay around.

-Lex