"Just Curious" VM question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Sep 16 03:38:38 UTC 2003

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 03:50  PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> A named primitive is very slightly slower since it requires a bit of
> extra
> work, much of which is cached though, and in fact it could be made
> exactly
> as fast as an indexed primitive if we wanted to by using a similar
> trick
> which we do already use for "ultra-fast failure responses" from named
> primitives[**]. For all practical purposes (which means, unless someone
> shows that this is an issue ;-) named primitives are as fast as
> numbered
> primitives.

I've always thought primitiveExternalCall was a bit heavy even if we've
resolved
the index, especially since we come via primitiveResponse which looks
up the millisecond clock time (twice)

Mind on the os-x carbon mac version this is just a inaccurate kinda
global, versus off to some special
nano-second counter and do lots of math.

> --
===