About KCP and automatic initialize

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Sep 16 08:46:03 UTC 2003

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>[SNIP]
> SqueakMap doesn't show me a version of the Refactoring Browser that I
> can load and use.  There is a SmallLint *tutorial*, but no SmallLint
> *package*.  This is ironic, because this is the tool that could help
> people with #initialize bugs AND OTHERS without any kernel change at all.

Sorry, this thread is already so very, very long I haven't been able to
keep up.
But I would like to comment on this.

When Daniel was here recently we wrote a cool little... well, it was
just for fun - and I am not sure if Daniel has expanded on the code -
but we called it the "Bugging Demon" or daemon. Think of it as a bitchy
Clippy that uses SLint to bitch about the code you just wrote (using
talking heads etc). Kindof fun. Hope I didn't spoil it now by telling
about it. :)

Anyway, we too realized that SLint wasn't available as a separate
package NOR as a separate menu choice when RB is installed. This will
most probably be remedied by Daniel in some way. We also realized that
SLint is not used *nearly* as mich as it should be (thus the birth of
the "Bugging Demon").

Also - RB is only currently categorized as for Squeak "3.4" but that is
false now AFAIK. Daniel is about to recategorize it.

> By flicking switches, I can see a version that says it might work in 3.4,
> but of course I'm not using 3.4.  Try it, .... "MessageNotUnderstood:
> hasPrimitiveChangeClassTo:".  Nope.  I _can't_ use RB.
>
> Does anyone have a version of the Refactoring browser/of SmallLint
> that works in 3.5-5180 or 3.6 final?

Strange. We used it recently in 3.6... Daniel probably has some answers.

> Is there anyone out there who understands my utter FRUSTRATION
> at the way I can never move forward in my Smalltalk practice because
> someone keeps yanking out the rug so that I can never use this tool?

Well, we are all in this together. Help Daniel then. What is so hard
about that? (bitching annoys me)

regards, Göran

PS. Regarding the initialize issue - I haven't decided where I stand.
But I *do* value the ability to easily port stuff from other Smalltalks
*but* I simply *refuse* to let that stand in the way of making Squeak
better. That is my personal view.

And ANSI and all that is fine but when it stands in the way of
improvement of Squeak it just annoys me. ANSI Smalltalk is dead. I
repeat - dead. Btw, anyone remember #removeAll? In that thread Richard
and I argued vehemently for different fixes/improvements to Collections
but nothing happened. That discussion made me think Squeak would never
go beyond "Smalltalk". But now I think the community has evolved a bit -
we are gradually leaning towards making Squeak better than Smalltalk.
Something *else* than Smalltalk. I applaud that.