About KCP and automatic initialize

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Sep 16 09:19:13 UTC 2003

1. Stef has done it and used the image, therefore, it doesn't break
everything.
2. We have a partial test suite we can run. It will detect some bugs,
and where it doesn't, we'll have a good motivation to add tests.
3. As far as short term instability is concerned - we are in alpha...
4. As far as incompatibility with other Smalltalks is concerned, this
will cause no problems when porting DialectX-> Squeak, and simple
problems when porting Squeak -> DialectX. Problems which are solved by
adding "new super basicNew initialize" (or whatever that silly idiom
really is) to each imported class. Doesn't seem like really bad risk to
me.

Daniel