Deprecation (was: Refactoring Browser (was: About KCP andautomatic initialize))

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Sep 16 16:53:13 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> I used the SM version of the Refactoring Browser for all my development,
> at whatever is the alpha version. It currently uses deprecated methods
> (which can be proceeded, or patched individually, and might be fixed
> soon collectively).

Ugh... speaking of which... it seems to me that a deprecated method
isn't really deprecated if it pops up a dialog and halts processing; it
might as well be removed.  It's not much better than getting a DNU
really (well, ok, you get a more descriptive error and you *can*
continue).  But couldn't we have it just output a message to the
Transcript that the message is deprecated and then continue normally?
It seems to me that the point of deprecation is that software continues
to work during a period of time where the developer can find the
deprecations and change them.

The current situation doesn't really seem to leave software using the
deprecated methods in a "usable" state.  Perhaps this would even be
worthy of one tiny last change to 3.6 before final?  Or perhaps I'm the
only one who sees it this way...

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)