About KCP and automatic initialize

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Sep 16 17:49:21 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Please let us have an open atmosphere about evolving Squeak.
Sure. I'm just engaging in critical discussion of a specific proposal
:-)

> > > if we add the above in 3.7 we could easily wait with some kind of "final
> > > decision" on it until 3.8.
> > Hmm, what is SqueakMap for again, then?
> Eh, well - sure. But I am not certain that *language* level
> enhancements/changes are best served as packages on SM. As always, I am
> open for arguments, but it sure sounds like it could lead to forks in no
> time. :)
Well it appears to me that changing *the language* in the alpha stream
*and then changing it back* is much more hassle than we want. So we
should include in the stream only stuff that we're quite sure is
permanent. And I don't know of any way to gain that confidence that's
better than SqueakMap. I don't see how forks/compatibility issues are
any different between language changes and extreme framework changes...

Daniel