[ENH][3.6] DeprecationPreference-avi

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Sep 16 22:02:30 UTC 2003

This seems like a generally good idea and is perhaps worth adding to 3.6
before it's released... I agree that the deprecation pop-ups could be a
big problem for non-developers.

I wonder if not showing any warnings even in the Transcript as the
default might be going too far, though.  Maybe the warnings should still
show up in the Transcript if you're not in fix-deprecation mode?  Or
maybe we could have a three-way preference with Transcript-warnings as
the default.  (There's an example of a radio-button preference under the
halos section of the prefs window.)

I'm just concerned that if there are no warnings at all, package
developers might not even notice that methods they rely on have been
deprecated.  Perhaps this isn't a big problem in practice, I'm not sure.

- Doug