[unix][vm] 3.6g1

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.net
Tue Sep 16 21:38:48 UTC 2003

Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 3.6-1 is almost ready.  It might be nice to hammer on it a little before
> it gets promoted to "stable" (and replaces the 3.4 VM).  There's lots of
> new stuff since 3.4, and wrinkles are surely there for the ironing out.
> If that sounds like fun, it's all in the usual place (with release notes
> behind the obvious link, at the beginning of the "Release History" section
> of the download page).  Thanks!
>
> Ian

I tried running one of my Seaside web application images with the 3.6g-1
on RedHat Linux 9.1 on an Intel Pentium III. The image runs fine with
the 3.4-1 vm but seemed to hang as soon as I tried to access the
http://localhost:9090/seaside/config page with the 3.6g-1 vm. I just
tried again with the new 3.6g-2 vm and it seems to work now.

However, during the debugging of this probelm I started rebuilding the
vm with SIGHUP/SIGQUIT support enabled by defining DUMP_IMAGE in
sqUnixMain.c but got an undefined symbol 'preSnapshot' linking squeak:

vm/vm.a(sqUnixMain.o)(.text+0x660): In function `emergencyDump':
/usr/local/src/Squeak-3.6g-2/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:500:
undefined reference to `preSnapshot'

Grepping through the complete directory, I see symbols like
compilerPreSnapshot, but no preSnapshot.

Should preSnapshot be compilerPreSnapshot?

Thanks!
-Mark Schwenk