About KCP and automatic initialize

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 03:52:15 UTC 2003

Okay...

Just adding my 2 Canadian cents to the discussion
here...

One of the main argument against the KCP and automatic
initialize seems to be related to the portability of
Smalltalk code across dialects...

Well, I really think this isn't such a big deal...

This issue isn't worse than the fact that Squeak,
Dolphin, VAST and VW have different frameworks for the
Web (VisualWave, Seaside, Web Parts, etc), for
persistence, for UI (Morph, AbtParts, MVC, Pollock,
etc) and the list goes on...  Guess what, most of the
time we have to manually port our code across dialects
anyway...

And making Squeak different doesn't mean it's a bad
idea...  Did the guys at Cincom ever thought about
portability when they implemented Ephemerons?  Don't
think so and it doesn't matter...

Great ideas always resurface and get adopted...
eventually.

And if this community is clever enough to come up with
tools like VMMaker, I bet we'll be able to extend the
SIF tools to convert Smalltalk code to the "Squeak'
way of initializing things"

=====