Deprecation (was: Refactoring Browser (was: About KCPandautomatic initialize))

Roel Wuyts wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 17 08:10:03 UTC 2003

The fact that most users do not have their transcript open mean that a
lot won't even see this.

Could we do something like in VW: instead of popping up a regular
unhandled exception, pop-up a window that contains a number of options:
1- debug (as now)
2- proceed once (so only this once, next occurence will pop-up again)
3- proceed all (no more windows for deprecated methods; Transcript
instead).

Note that, if it is annoying to end-users who do not dare to change it
themselves, they might start complaining on the list, putting peer
pressures on the developers of those packages to fix them :-)

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 20:43 Europe/Zurich, Adam Spitz wrote:

> ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>
>> I agree so propose something.
>
> Julian proposed spitting out a Transcript message instead of popping up
> the dialog box. Sounds reasonable to me.
>

> Adam

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/