video clip editing

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Wed Sep 17 19:46:26 UTC 2003

Gary McGovern wrote:

> Hello,
> Has anything been done with movie/video creation and editing with
> individual elements existing as morphs.
>
> I've recently been editing some home made video clips and I thought it
> would have been much easier to use morphs. I.e. turn one character into
> another or change the whole background or to change the position of
> characters etc.
>
> I'm just about to edit another clip by hand (painting the background of
> each frame). But if the elements were morphs I could just do the background
> once.
>
> As an afterthought, I was watching how "Attack of the Clones" was made last
> night and I was surprised to see how much blue screen was used and it led
> me to believe to the decomposition of an image into morphs cannot be done
> (or not yet) ?
>
> I would appreciate it is someone could shed some light on this topic.

What you want would be quite cool to have but is hard to implement :-)
Some video effect software got tools to do this,
but they cost quite much, like Adobe After Effects for example.
Do a search for rotoscoping software.

To do this in Squeak you could maybe put a Polygon morph on top of the
video frame and outline the character. If you hooked the Polygon morph
up to
a timeline you could step trough the frames and move your outline accordingly.
Or if you you could use a pixel tracing algorithm that trace
the pixels under the polygon vertices to move the outline accordingly to
the character.
I would like to have such a tool :-) Let me know if you want help to implement.

Karl