About names of VM in mac and pc

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Sep 17 20:37:49 UTC 2003

Well the carbon mac VM is for example Squeak VM 3.5.2b1 which means
usually a 3.5 series VM, with perhaps enhancements found in the mac
source tree at the rev 2 version and beta 1.  Usually I send beta 1, 2,
...  out for pre-trials to interested folks, then once I've fixed any
forgotten details you might have 3.5.0b4 as an example as something
everyone uses.  Also I've rev the beta numbers for mac specific VM
fixes when required.

I'll note enhancements to the VM sneak into the Mac VM because
sometimes they are powerpc performance specific or as an example
(global structures) where it takes years/months for them to creep into
the base image.

Right now the current VM should be build-able from the sourceforge
source tree. What is really required is work on the CVS part to enable
me and other VM folks I'd guess the ability to tag source to indicate
what for example really went into the 3.4.0b4 VM. I
do have source trees for most of that on my office machines in case
anyone say a 3.2.6 source tree for the mac VM.

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 12:24  PM, ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking at the last figures that I will have to update for 3.6 in
> my book. I noticed that when we look at the names the vm have in mac
> and in pc we got different schema
>
> 	on pc I have squeak on mac squeak3.2b4
>
> So what there is a difference?
>
> Stef