Icon for mac VM

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu Sep 18 08:28:55 UTC 2003

> Hi ian
>
> I really like the new icon :).

Bert F sent me a set of nice icons which were almost but not quite what
I'd been trying to create myself.  (Bert is much better at PhotoShop than
I am at gimp. ;)  So I described the colour scheme, etc., that I was
aiming for, and... one hour later he delivered the gorgeous icon set that
is now included with the Quartz display driver for 3.6g.

So: THANKYOU Bert!  :)

> Now will this VM/icon be part of the next 3.6 release?

We still have two "mainstream" OS-X VMs.  JMM's behaves just like a
classic OS9 VM.  Mine behaves just like a regular Unix VM.  So there are
differences, e.g., the rules for pathnames (JMM = classic HFS paths, IKP =
Unix paths).  I intend to add HFS path support to the Unix VM with a VM
preference that tells it to return either ":" or "/" (as preferred) for
the pathname delimeter, which in turn will tell the image whether to use
Mac-like or Unix-like behaviour for FileDirectory.  (The end result should
be identical no matter which behaviour is being used.  It comes down to
personal preference.)

> I will start to see where my code break in 3.6 and prepare the final
> version of the book

Can't help you much there. ;)

> and I would like not to be obsolete that fast :)

Apart from the directory issue, there shouldn't be any difference in the
behaviour of these two VMs.  (Other than the Unix VM letting you choose to
run on the Quartz desktop, or to a remote X display, or as a headless
server, or with audio i/o on the builtin hardware, or via a remote network
audio server, or..., etc. ;^p)

Ian