music editing / decomposition

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 03:26:10 UTC 2003

Another interesting fact is that the beginning of a note (the "attack") is a
more important defining characteristic than its sustained quality. You can
splice a saxophone attack onto a sustained oboe note, and most people will
be fooled into thinking its a saxophone the whole time. The attack is also
the most difficult aspect of tone production for the performer, at least on
my instrument, the clarinet. After about 12 years of playing, I feel like I
got it more-or-less perfected this January.

Anyway, automated recognition might try to make use of this information, but
occasionally its obscured and unavailable. Those are the times when I have
the hardest times separating parts in a recording.

Eddie