[NIT] Managing repositories in MC

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon Sep 22 08:45:08 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> I don't like this at all.  It doesn't matter how little or how much
> they're duplicated - they're still immutable.  I *really* don't think
> you want to change that.  You have no idea how many .mcz files are
> sitting around on disk with the old ancestry information.

I think immutable versions is really critical for having all three of
distribution, coherence and simplicity.

[Colin said something about versions being content addressable instead
of URL addressable, freenet style]
I dunno. Seems to me that having a url back to where the version was
published is nice. Especially since this makes the source of a package
verifiable - compare it to what it claims to be. But also because it
allows a form of discovery we dont have now, which is that I can find
all the repositories whose changes get into Gorans SMBase line, and
decide to track them myself.

This all applies to content addressable scheme, except we're not using
such a medium now. Lets get the benefits now, and discuss the perfect
medium later...

Daniel