[NIT] Managing repositories in MC

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon Sep 22 19:15:32 UTC 2003

Well, we're being a bit fuzzy about what we mean when we say
addressable. IIUC, neither of us really means that a version will be
always available using either a URL or its content. I relax it to "it
will as long as it hasn't moved", you relax it to "as long as the
version is in one of the repositories I look in".

I'm assuming that addressability is only important for recent versions,
and these will usually still where they were originally placed. This
will allow the automatic discovery of the still active repositories that
have contributed to a specific version, which seems nice. IIUC, you like
the fact that the version will be found by ID if you point to the right
repository, right? if so, it seems that the two methods complement.
Going directly to the url is faster than linear search, and if it fails,
then at least it gives you a good list of repositories to look in... so
it enhances the effectiveness of the look up.

Of course, the combination of both methods still isn't fool proof, which
is probably ok.

Daniel