3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish" -- HELP

cdshaffer at acm.org cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Sep 23 14:16:12 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am using the 3.6g VM and the latest 3.6 image under RedHat Linux 9.
After a few days of use (and many "save and exit" cycles) the UI
becomes very sluggish.  Focus updates are slow, response to buttons
clicks and typing are slow.  This has happened to me four or five
times now with the 3.6 series VM and image.  Each time I just filed
out my code and started with a fresh image.  At first I thought that
it was something I was loading (I have been using OSProcess and
CommandShell alot).  Now I'm not too sure.  Anyway, some other things
I've noticed:

1) my machine doesn't report excessive CPU usage by Squeak
(9 or 10% when squeak is idle)

2) the sluggishness always _seems_ to follow a CommandShell command
execution (like "ls") which didn't seem to end properly.  That is, I
type "ls" in CommandShell and it lists the directory but the prompt
never comes back.  I press return a few times and eventually get a
prompt.

As always, any pointers, tips etc are appreciated even if they have
nothing to do with this problem :-)

David