3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish" -- HELP

cdshaffer at acm.org cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Sep 24 13:09:20 UTC 2003

David T. Lewis writes:

 > Sounds like OSProcess in not properly receiving or handling the "death
 > of child" signals from the programs being run by your CommandShell
 > window.
 >
 > I'm sorry I won't have much time to look at this until this weekend,
 > but here are a couple of quick workarounds to get things unstuck:
 >
 > - Find the UnixOSProcessPlugin.so in your installation, and rename
 >   it so that it cannot be run by the VM.

Did it.

 > - Get back into Squeak, and open a ProcessBrowser. Terminate any processes
 >   that look suspicious. From the symptoms you are described, I'll bet
 >   you have a lot of them.

There were no suspicious processes running except the process reaper
but I couldn't kill it because the image becomes sluggish so quickly
that it is basically unusable by the time I open the process browser.

Since removing the .so file had no effect on the problem then maybe
the problem isn't OSProcess?

David