3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish" -- HELP

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 25 08:49:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:09:20AM -0400, cdshaffer at acm.org wrote:
> David T. Lewis writes:
>  > - Find the UnixOSProcessPlugin.so in your installation, and rename
>  >   it so that it cannot be run by the VM.
>
> Did it.
>
>  > - Get back into Squeak, and open a ProcessBrowser. Terminate any processes
>  >   that look suspicious. From the symptoms you are described, I'll bet
>  >   you have a lot of them.
>
> There were no suspicious processes running except the process reaper
> but I couldn't kill it because the image becomes sluggish so quickly
> that it is basically unusable by the time I open the process browser.
>
> Since removing the .so file had no effect on the problem then maybe
> the problem isn't OSProcess?

Hmmm, it must be something else then. The symptoms you described reminded
me of problems I've seen in the past when I screwed something up in
the OSProcess signal handler, so I thought that might be it. At any
rate, I just re-checked OSProcess/CommandShell loaded from SqueakMap
into a fresh image, and I don't see anything wrong.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Dave

p.s. You can use "OSProcess accessor grimReaperProcess terminate" to
stop the child process handler without going to the ProcessBrowser.

p.p.s. Use "Smalltalk listLoadedModules" to make sure you really
got rid of UnixOSProcessAccessor.so when you renamed it. If there
is another copy of it that you've forgotten about somewhere in your
plugin search path, you can end up loading the other copy by accident.