3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish" -- HELP

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Thu Sep 25 16:06:06 UTC 2003

Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2003 10:49 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:09:20AM -0400, cdshaffer at acm.org wrote:
> > David T. Lewis writes:
> >  > - Find the UnixOSProcessPlugin.so in your installation, and rename
> >  >   it so that it cannot be run by the VM.
> >
> > Did it.
> >
> >  > - Get back into Squeak, and open a ProcessBrowser. Terminate any
> >  > processes that look suspicious. From the symptoms you are described,
> >  > I'll bet you have a lot of them.
> >
> > There were no suspicious processes running except the process reaper
> > but I couldn't kill it because the image becomes sluggish so quickly
> > that it is basically unusable by the time I open the process browser.
> >
> > Since removing the .so file had no effect on the problem then maybe
> > the problem isn't OSProcess?
>
> Hmmm, it must be something else then. The symptoms you described reminded
> me of problems I've seen in the past when I screwed something up in
> the OSProcess signal handler, so I thought that might be it. At any
> rate, I just re-checked OSProcess/CommandShell loaded from SqueakMap
> into a fresh image, and I don't see anything wrong.
>
> Anybody else have any ideas?

When I started using squeak I had a (maybe) similar problem caused by playing
sound. I'm using KDE and arts and so squeak was not able to get the sound
device and became very slow. Starting squeak with the artsdsp wrapper solved
the problem.

Martin