[Babel] Looking for more translators

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Sep 25 22:20:38 UTC 2003

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

>Hi Stef,
>

>>I'm evaluating the effort and we are discussing about it with serge and
>> others.
>>The idea is that we would like to have a Squeak in french. But I would
>>like to know
>>if this effort will not be thrown away when new balloon help and other
>>new english text
>>will be included. I guess not but could you explain us how you see that
>> situation.
>>

>The biggest risk in my eyes is if  Babel get not included in Squeak.  Babel
>is an almost trivial piece of code but it impacts all over Squeak.
>Basically each "visible" string has to received the #translated message and,
>as you can imagine, it means changes all over the image.
>
>The translations are hold in each language instance in a dictionary and we
>have support for merging dictionaries, etc. so the risk is not at this part.
>
>One time Babel got included in Squeak every package maintainer can make the
>package "translatable" just sending #translated to the gui's strings.
>
>I'd like to know which type of opportunity (if any) Babel has to be included
>for 3.7.  What the guides think about? What the other potential translators
>do?

It sounds like there's enough interest that it should at least be
considered/discussed.

Would including Babel in 3.7 mean that we would just add a
String>>translated method and some associated support (a pretty small
change, probably a good idea assuming people like the implementation of
Babel) ?

Or, would we also want to convert all "visible" strings in the 3.7 UI to
receive the #translated message (a bigger change, not as sure about this) ?

- Doug