3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish": one more then I'll shut up

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu Sep 25 23:29:10 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 cdshaffer at acm.org wrote:

> I have placed the image and changes file at:
> http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer/SqueakProblem/

I see the same behaviour as yourself in the above image.  Hitting Cmd-.
after it becomes sluggish cures the problem.  The resulting debugger stack
contains

  Socket>>waitForAcceptFor:
  [] in X11Server>>serverLoop
  BlockContext:on:do:
  [] in X11Server>>serverLoop
  BlockContext>>repeat
  X11Server>>serverLoop
  [] in X11Server>>startServerProcess
  [] in BlockContext>>newProcess

Aborting the debugger restores normality.  Your problem would therefore
appear to be related to X11Server's serverLoop.

Ian

PS: I'm curious as to why you're going to so much trouble to connect to X
    (in this case by implementing huge chunks of the X protocol).  Seems
    like a more general (and portable) solution would be to create a
    tiny plugin to create a graphics surface that opens and then renders
    into a X11 window.  Andreas posted example code for Windows a while back.