[Babel] Looking for more translators

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Sep 26 10:49:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:55:42PM -0500, diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:
> The biggest risk in my eyes is if  Babel get not included in Squeak.  Babel
> is an almost trivial piece of code but it impacts all over Squeak.
> Basically each "visible" string has to received the #translated message and,
> as you can imagine, it means changes all over the image.
>
> The translations are hold in each language instance in a dictionary and we
> have support for merging dictionaries, etc. so the risk is not at this part.
>
> One time Babel got included in Squeak every package maintainer can make the
> package "translatable" just sending #translated to the gui's strings.
>
> I'd like to know which type of opportunity (if any) Babel has to be included
> for 3.7.  What the guides think about? What the other potential translators
> do?

I think we should really add this, and think about better ways to do it
later. We should think about this as a failing test: It's not green. Just
fix it and refactor later.

I we now decide to not include it "because there may be nicer solutions",
chance is very high that nothing will happen at all.

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de