Startup image

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Sep 27 07:49:16 UTC 2003

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 10:32  PM, Phil Hudson wrote:

> Here's the behavior I would like to see, on all platforms. (It may be
> that we already have it and I just don't know it):
>
> o Squeak should somehow store the pathname of the image file it last
> used
> and always re-load that image on startup, unless and until the user
> launches some other image file.

Yes yes we've done things not that way because it requires creation and
management
of a preference file in environments that may or may not allow write
access. Still it's worth the
consideration for 3.6 for os-x.

> o If no image file preference has yet been stored, Squeak should by
> default look for and, if found, open an image file with a standard name
> in a standard location. Say, "squeak.image" in the same directory as
> the app.

Yes it should do that.

> o Launching an image file rather than the app on its own should
> continue
> to work as it does now.

Double clicking on an image file, should start the application. But you
must associate the image with
the squeak VM. This was automatic in os-9 and earlier, but appears to
be broken in os-x when apple
tried to say meta-data for files like creator type was going away, that
direction was changed based on
violent feedback. However you'll find there are two hidden files that
track the meta-data to application relationships
these sometimes get corrupted and then you have problems clicking on
document.funnyending doesn't invoke
the funnyending application.
===