Concurrency (was: Re: Apache frontend for Squeak, mod_scgi ?)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sat Sep 27 20:29:26 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Lukas Renggli <renggli at student.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > I was
> > shocked when reading Nathanael's mail about those synchronisation bugs
> > in it. Why is something like this in the base-image?
>
> Hmm, that sounds like a good goal for 3.7 - get Monitor into the image
> (as a package, of course), and replace the SharedQueue implementation
> with one that works.

Just want to note that SharedStreams contains two classes -
SharedBufferStream and SharedBidirectionalStream. Of those two
SharedBufferStream is more or less a "better SharedQueue".

It was a while since I wrote it, heavily influenced by the design of
SharedQueue, but I did find a few bugs in SharedQueue and I think I
removed those in SharedBufferStream. I also made sure it uses fast
Collection primitives (because I wanted to be able to use it for
character streams).

Doing this I also instigated :-) a few threads on these errors in
SharedQueue and it should all be in the archives. Whoever takes charge
of this I hope that SharedBufferStream and those postings get a look.

regards, Göran

PS. Stephen Pair likes SharedBufferStream - so this is not only
ramblings from the author. :-)